Sunday, July 27, 2008

Unknown Caller

Today around 12:45 p.m. my phone started ringing and I have learned that if it rings 3 times in a row it could be someone calling out of state OR it could be an unknown caller. Well, it rang 3 times in a row so the kids and I checked the caller i.d. and sure enough it was an unknown name and a phone number that none of us recognized...so for a split second I went back and forth as to whether or not I was going to answer the phone or let the answering machine get it. After all, nothing else ticks me off more than being bothered by a solicitor...especially on a Sunday. But for some reason I decided what the heck?...I'm going to answer this one. I hesitantly said, "Hello"...and to my surprise on the other end of the phone was my dad's voice. Boy am I glad I answered! They were visiting a family from their ward in Nuremberg and because this family can make unlimited calls to America...they told my parents to go out on the back deck and make a few phone calls. Nice, huh?

My parents are slowly adjusting. They both said that EVERYTHING over there is completely different and more expensive...so it's a good thing they were able to take ALL of their medications, extra deodorant and other "must-have" items with them on the plane. Oh, and if you think that our gas prices here are out of control...they paid $12.00 a gallon. I sure hope that their little red Puegot gets great gas mileage. They are completely settled in their apartment and have even hung some family pictures so it feels more like Home. My dad is still sleep deprived because he's been waking up around 2 a.m. and can't get back to sleep for several hours but good news...my mom said she's sleeping like a baby! Both of them couldn't stop talking about how beautiful it is over there. (Rob...I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to go for a visit!!!)

Our conversation was brief...but it was long enough for them to let us know that they are doing good! I can hardly believe that they've only been gone one week...I am already missing them like CRAZY!!!

4 comments:

Deb said...

How awesome that you were able to talk to them!

Fishin the Good life said...

Ya, Die Duetschland ist schloss!! Vie gehen zu die Deutschland.

Piano Mom said...

I am so jealous that you got to talk to mom & dad. I was at church and missed the call. However, dad did leave a message and I won't let anyone erase it. Has it really only been 1 week? It feels like a lot longer!

Amy said...

I am going to guess that fishin the good life is closely related to you. You are SO lucky to know someone that speaks German SO fluently!!!

I am sure it was great to talk to them. I hope that you are able to get over there and visit. What a great opportunity!!