(and then some) was spent here...
For those who haven't heard the story...here it is!
A couple of Wednesdays ago (Apr. 1) right as we were about to leave for Michael's fourth and final Pinewood Derby he started complaining that his stomach hurt! I honestly thought that it might have been food poisoning or that he was in the beginning stages of the stomach flu and because he had spent a lot of time building his car I decided that we were going! Turns out...he puked...twice...in between his races! I felt so sorry for him. After we brought him home that night he puked a few more times. Since we didn't exactly know if he was contagious we kept him home and he only puked twice on Thursday...but all the while still complaining that his stomach hurt! Friday he didn't throw-up at all but his stomach was still bugging him to the point that he asked me to take him to the doctor. Finally at 10 o'clock that night Rob gave him a priesthood blessing. After the blessing we put Michael in his bed and as he rolled onto his right side he REALLY started to cry. I decided to google his symptoms and it brought up all sorts of articles for an appendicitis. So after talking it over with Rob we decided that we would take him to Insta-Care first thing in the morning...to save ourselves a few bucks just in case it wasn't his appendix. But after hearing him wimper for nearly 2 hours in his bed...we decided that it was probably a good idea to just take him to the hospital that night. Rob drove Michael to the emergency room and I stayed home with our 3 other kids. After doing some tests they took him straight into surgery for a ruptured appendix. Who knew? The surgery went very well...but because it had already ruptured he needed to receive antibiotics through an i.v. to kill any sort of infection that may or may not be floating around in his bowels. Lovely! Needless to say, it was a rough (and boring) few days...





...but we are home now and Michael is doing great. On Friday, the doctor removed his 10 staples (which was very cool!) and said that he was healing quite well. He is slowly getting stronger...now that his appetite is back! I just hope that he gains back the 8 pounds that he lost...he's so stinkin' skinny. Today he went to school...but is not allowed to participate during P.E. for a couple of weeks...which is fine by me because I really don't want to make a return visit to the hospital. So for now, life is back to normal...and I hope it stays that way for a LONG time!
9 years ago

8 comments:
Wow!! What a story. I'm glad to hear he is doing ok. Hope you all had a good Easter.
I have meant to email/call and check out how he was...sorry I have a lot of good intentions at times. You guys really have had a fun medical year so far. What are Marissa and Josh planning? We shouldn't count out you and Rob? How is that knee of yours?
I'm glad he's healing! You guys have sure had a run of yucky stuff this last little while!
Sorry about Hannah's last half of the lesson today and picking Kenton up late. It was quite a traumatic afternoon.
Wishing your family a happy healthy spring!
what a little trooper! i still can't believe this all happened to him. i'm glad he is getting stronger and hopefully you can fatten him up. he didn't have 8 pounds to spare!
hopefully you are all done with hospitals for awhile. maybe you should look marissa and joshua up so nothing can happen to them!
It is good to see the last picture with a grin on his face. The others mostly show his pain. Tell him to mind his p's & q's for a while. We want a healthy grandson to greet us in 9 months.
Thanks for listening to the Spirit & getting him to the hospital. We love you all very much.
Dad & Mom / Gpa & Gma
We're all hoping that you are done with your medical surprises for the year!
What a kid.....he must have a really high tolerance for pain. I mean a ruptured appendix, ouch! Glad that he's fine now, and I echo the same wishes for you and Rob that you won't have anymore hospital trips this year.
I like Leslie's idea of locking up the other two as a preventitive measure......And just so you know I won't say anything to the authorities if you do, .....you can trust me.
Glad that you are feeling better Michael...that is rough. Happy Birthday...then into the hospital you go! Get better so that you can be back on the soccer field!
Post a Comment